description


A number one song can be a perfect storm of lyrical and musical genius coming together to create a uniquely special moment of excellence. And yet, often times, the individual elements that make up a top hit are not quite the sum of their parts.


Here at The Breakdown testing site, words are removed and isolated from the songs they've been assigned to. This allotment of dialogue is then subjugated to a rigorous series of independent tests in order to determine just how great/awful, creative/inane, and remarkable/pointless it truly is.


Do the lyrics of a number one tune stand, or fall, on their own?


Let's find out.


Sunday, September 2, 2018

Ke$ha "Tik Tok"

*****Number One, January, 2010*****


Thus far in these weekly breakdowns, the intention to focus exclusively on each song's lyrics has proven to be a bit difficult.  There are a couple of reasons for this.

Firstly, I am somewhat-to-verywhat familiar with the quartet of tunes we've covered.  They've all spent time in my vicinity over the years, and have reached a certain level of comfort and staying power in my brain pan.  They're kind of like characters from a television show you've seen a thousand times.  You know them by sheer force of volume, and feel a kinship based on nothing of depth.

They're friends in the same way Friends are friends.  Allow me a moment to illustrate my point by linking the aforementioned hits to people on a show I barely remember; 
  • "Jump" is like Phoebe.  She wore crazy clothes and jumped around, right?
  • "Celebrity Skin" is...the lady who went on to the movies.  No the other one.  
  • "Light My Fire" Sully.  Sully was a character, right?  Sully.  Sounds right.
  • "Sledgehammer" is so uncomfortable to watch, it's totally Michael Scott.  

Sully?

Secondly, I've found it a challenge to separate extraneous information from the song itself.  Whether it be a video, a cultural moment, or a disturbing assortment of oddly placed bruises, these associations feel like mandatory bits of the review.  What's more, after four of these suckers, I've begun to accept that the inclusion of this additional sauce is a requirement of the blog-making process.  Using this stuff helps to gain a better grasp of the song.

However, what happens when there is no sauce?  No extra stuff?  How might I review a number one hit that I not only have no background with, but have never actually heard?

It might go, a little something, like this...

Yes, I'm old.  We really don't need to dwell on that.

Let's talk (er, tok) instead about a song I don't know in the slightest.  This is a scientific experiment which I am very excited to explore.  And, I'm going to undertake this in the way most reputable scientists suggest.  Utterly blindfolded.

Normally, ahead of crafting these reviews, I hit up the googles to remind myself just what the lyrics actually are.  It's as close to doing research as I get (unless you count placing a half-full glass of whiskey JUST SO on the side table as research, which if you do count that, hello friend!).  However, for this entry, there will be no advance work on the blog (aside from the boozy).  Rather than that, as I write the section below, I will be looking at the lyrics for this song for the very first time.

That's right, it's (sort of, kind of, not really, but let's just pretend this is) live-blogging!!!  Just like all those famous internet people.  Bring on the Kesha!  Er, Ke$ha.  Is that really her name?  Huh, ok, whatever, she has a number one song!  Apparently!  Here we go...

"Tik Tok"

(I will now, at this exact moment, go to a second tab, copy the initial stanza, and paste them in italics below followed by my initial reaction line by line.  Thrilling!!!)

  • "Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy (Hey, what up girl?)"
    • She uses parenthesis!  (I use parenthesis).  She knows what P Diddy feels like (I do not)
  • "Grab my glasses, I"m out the door; I'm gonna hit this city (Let's go)"
    • She wears glasses.  This must be vital to the rest of the song.  It also means she's likely quite smart (I already mentioned the parenthesis, right?)
  • "Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack"
    • O.....kay.  I use my Jack for drinking, but you know, dental care is important.  I am feeling less confident about the smartness, however.
  • "Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back."
    • I assume your roommate $tacy appreciates this info, now she won't leave the light on.  You should have reminded her to feed your cat, though.  

Whew, that was fun!  I'm intrigued by this plucky girl and her booksmart yet toothdumb ways.  Because this song looks a little wordy, let's review the second verse as a whole.  Feeling very positive here.

  • "I'm talking pedicure on our toes, toes / Trying on all our clothes, clothes / Boys blowing up our phones, phones / Drop-topping, playing our favorite CD's / Rollin' up to the parties / Trying to get a little bit tipsy"

This seems like a really busy night.  Sometimes, it's nice to just stay home with a book.  Oh, and if you're brushing your teeth with whiskey, you're likely more than a little tipsy.  Just saying.  Anyway, lets jump to the next verse.  Where are we going next?

  • "Ain't got a care in world, but got plenty of beer"
    • I don't see how these two things are connected. 
  • "Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here."
    • Uh, those phrases have even less in common than the ones in the prior line.  Are you ok Ke$ha?
  • "And now the dudes are lining up 'cause they hear we got swagger."
    • Men do enjoy queueing up for lady swagger.  I can confirm this.
  • "But we kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger."
    • Full stop.  I know, Mick Jagger was a sex symbol for a long, long time.  And, it could very well be that you're referring to his appearance in those days from his prime.  But, he's like a mega-grandpa now.  No offense, but I'm surprised your friends agree on that level of looks for dude-to-curb kicking.

Hoo boy, I'm really getting a bit tired here my dear.  Let's just do one more set before we end this entry.  I've got plenty of beer too ya know!

  • "I'm talking about everybody getting crunk, crunk / Boys tried to touch my junk, junk / Gonna smack him if getting too drunk, drunk / Now, now, we goin' till they kick us out, out / Or the police shut us down, down / police shut us down, down / Po-po shut us"

I got to post the words "po-po" on my blog.  I couldn't be prouder.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Oh, wait, I remember this song now.  I have heard it before.  The Simpsons used it in an intro to one of their episodes.  Ok, scrap this entire blog post, it's a totally pointless lie.

Wait, how much have I written so far?  Oh.  

FINAL THOUGHTS (REVISED)
So, these lyrics are fun.  Silly, but seems like the type of tune that gets a party going.  Teenagers still probably blast it from their bedroom windows as they get crunked on La Croix and share Mick Jagger etchings.  Yeah, good times.  I'm fully supportive.  You're only young once.  And, someday, people will make fun of you for having a symbol in your name.  Not now, but soon.  Just enjoy it before it gets too late.

Ok, who am I kidding, the exclamation point still works!

No comments: