description


A number one song can be a perfect storm of lyrical and musical genius coming together to create a uniquely special moment of excellence. And yet, often times, the individual elements that make up a top hit are not quite the sum of their parts.


Here at The Breakdown testing site, words are removed and isolated from the songs they've been assigned to. This allotment of dialogue is then subjugated to a rigorous series of independent tests in order to determine just how great/awful, creative/inane, and remarkable/pointless it truly is.


Do the lyrics of a number one tune stand, or fall, on their own?


Let's find out.


Thursday, May 14, 2020

Neil Young "Heart of Gold"

*****Number One, March 14, 1972*****


Neil Young!  Canadian!

How Canadian?

This Canadian!

Yep, that's him, rooting (if you consider sullenly staring forward to be rooting, which I do, because that me) on the home team at the good old hockey game.  In this case, he's silently urging on his and my favorite squadron, the San Jose Sharks.  There he sits, surrounded by jersey-clad compatriots, fully invested in the game of the Great White North.  As others scream and yell "Go Sharks" he remains perfectly still.  His hands in his lap, gripped tightly out of furious anxiety and a knowing/crushing feeling that certain doom is on its way.

How do I know this last part?

Trust me, I know

Sigh.

Anyway, today we focus our bloggy attention on this hall of fame artist.  Now, you might think that having a first name and hockey fandom in common would have made it extremely likely that I'd gravitate towards the man.  Maybe at some point in my life?  Uh, well, nope.  Somewhat suprisingly, I don't recall a moment where I ever considered hunkering down with some of Mr Young's finest.  I definitely know of him and have always been impressed by his career and ability as a musician.  And, I'm kind of, sort of, familiar with a handful of his tunes.  However, I've never really taken to his work.  

I can't say exactly why.  Perhaps it's that almost mandated respect music fans are told to have towards our rumpled folk heroes.  I generally tend to bristle at such requirements and sometimes ignore artists out of rote stubborness as a dumb form of rebellion. 

You and me both, Jyn.

Thus, by kicking any sort of suggested fandom to the curb, I've missed out on the catalogs of a plethora of all-timers in the music world.  That's probably a shame.  Although, let's be realistic, having longevity and sales in this business doesn't automatically indicate quality.  Anyone can look at a list of best-selling bands and find some, uh *coughMaroon5cough* questionable talent.

For now, though, I'll put aside my deep disdain for nostalgia and tradition as it relates to the "greats" and give Mr Young the attention he deserves.  Well, I'll listen to one song, and only 'cause the Randomizer, not the Man, told me to.  Hooray for loopholes!  USA! USA! USA!

Oops, sorry.

Canada!  Canada!  Canada!

Hmm, that doesn't seem quite right.  Pretty sure they don't shout their country's name with such ruthless egotism up there.  Plus, Canadians are far too polite to use exclamation points.  

See?

With that, we return to topic.  Let's see what sort of language today's specific canuck believes in.  

Straight from a time before a less-musical but more-bloggery Neil began stumbling upon this mishapen planet, we get this week's number one.  The song "Heart of Gold" with backing vocals provided by none other than James Taylor AND Linda Ronstadt, spent just a single week on top of the US charts.  With such an impressive pedigree, it's a surprise it didn't reign for a bit longer.

Another shock, it would be the only tune from Neil Young that would ever visit that coveted spot.  He never returned to the top of the American mountain.  This tune will be the only one from him to ever appear on this site.

I know that will be disappointing for him, but he's a Sharks fan.  He's used to disappointment.

Anywho.

Let's look at the lyrics of this hit.  I think I'm familiar with it, but I've falsely assumed familiarity before, so you never know.

Heart of Gold
I want to live
I want to give
I've been a miner for a heart of gold
It's these expressions
I never give
That keep me searching for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old
Keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old

Hmm, can't say this rings any bells, but I like it quite a lot and think it straight up my word-alley.  Although, hang on, when this song came out, he was how old?  Checking the interwebs...

26.

26 years old when he wrote that.  Hmmph, my hipster detector just went off.  Honestly, if some twenty-something dude in an adult-y hat released a song now with the refrain "I'm getting old" I might just have to slug him.  Irony is wasted on the young.  That said, I'll let it slide this time.  Please continue, fellow Neil...

I've been to Hollywood
I've been to Redwood
I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold
I've been in my mind
It's such a fine line
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old
Keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old

Keep me searching for a heart of gold
You keep me searching and I'm growing old
Keep me searching for a heart of gold
I've been a miner for a heart of gold

And, that's a lyrical wrap.  Can't say it looks familiar at all to me, so obviously I absconded from the responsibility of hearing this tune earlier in my life.  Too bad.  This genre of song is typically the type of introspective melancholy that my dum-dum brain latches onto.  

Perhaps I'll try to make the effort and give a thorough listen to his stuff at some point soon.  It's always nice to find some new music, even if it came out before you were born and is only new to you.  

Still.  I guess that I need to concede that not all popular music should be avoided, and much of it deserves a shot.


But you already knew that.

No comments: