description


A number one song can be a perfect storm of lyrical and musical genius coming together to create a uniquely special moment of excellence. And yet, often times, the individual elements that make up a top hit are not quite the sum of their parts.


Here at The Breakdown testing site, words are removed and isolated from the songs they've been assigned to. This allotment of dialogue is then subjugated to a rigorous series of independent tests in order to determine just how great/awful, creative/inane, and remarkable/pointless it truly is.


Do the lyrics of a number one tune stand, or fall, on their own?


Let's find out.


Sunday, October 28, 2018

Outkast "Ms. Jackson"

*****Number One, February, 2001*****


This week, yours truly is taking a break.  After nearly three months of entries, I decided it was time for a short vacation.  I mean, I've written twelve updates since August.  Twelve!  And each blog post probably took at least an hour to write.  So, that means I've spent a total of something like...

...counting...

...a dozen hours on this project stretched over a quarter of a year!  Are you kidding me?  Boy, I hope all my readers appreciate this dedication and sacrifice.  But, it's fine, it's worth it!  I do it all for you.  And Colin Hay, of course.  He's pretty awesome.

However, don't be sad about my short break from the routine.  You're still getting a dose of hot chart-topping word assessment.  I've got a backup for this week, and he's just the man for the job.

Because he's a dog.

That's right, my main canine Ollie has generously offered to fill in on the blog this week.  He may only be five, but he's a big fan of Outkast and especially knowledgeable of southern rap from the early 2000's.  I know, I was surprised too.

At any rate, much like The Family Circus, I'm letting a youngster handle the content.  Remember The Family Circus?  That awful comic strip that was consistently unfunny, overtly godly, and as bland as the whitest Trump daughter?  Right, that one.  The strips' true author would occasionally have "Billy", one of the younger Hitlery characters, "write" that day's panel.  Basically, it meant that the newspaper smudge that morning had the appearance of being conceived of and drawn by a small, privileged boy.  It was still completely devoid of laughs, but conveyed an obvious attempt at pummeling the reader with childlike charm and wonder.  The whole thing was utterly, remarkably, dreadful.

And, yeah, well, I'm ripping it off.  But!  Instead of an insufferable towhead, my beloved, licking machine of a pooch will be responsible for this week's review.  He will take a gander at this particular number one's lyrics (more specifically the chorus) and give you his thoughts and overall concerns.

Oddly enough, this will be done in comic strip form.  Why?  I don't know, he's a dog.  His ways can't be understood, except when treats are involved.  Crap, I said the "T" word.  Did I break his concentration?


Whew!  Still focused on the blog, it seems

Guess he didn't hear me.  I'm just going to quietly let myself out.

Take it away Ollie!
-----------------------


Bark.

No comments: